Wednesday, December 06, 2006

In Cruz Bay - by Geert

We sailed from Jost van Dyke to St. John, and cleared US customs without any hassle. Astrid just left on the ferry to St. Thomas. I'll miss her, and the other crew, but I think I'll manage on my own. Sea Scout is anchored in a corner of Cruz Bay, well clear of the wake of the ferries. There are no facilities, but who needs them. In the morning I dab on some Castile soap, and jump over the side. I have my own private dinghy landing (an old seaplane ramp), and my own private pelican. He flies circles around the boat all day and catches fish like a dive bomber. To the east, where the wind is from, the anchorage protected by green hills, from which I get a daily serenade from crickets and whistling frogs. The sun shines bright, it's 82 degrees, and Cruzan, the local citrus rum, is only $8 a liter. I'm pretty sure I'll manage...